We paired this fennel and white pepper salami from UK based charcuterie experts The Real Cure with our classic sourdough base, a little tomato sauce and some mozzarella and it was incredible! But then we added some crispy onions and our minds were blown.
Fennel Salami & Crispy Onion Sourdough Pizza
- To make the crispy onions soak the sliced onions in the buttermilk for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, season the flour in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Heat an inch (2.5cm) of oil in a large pan over medium heat and, working in batches, shake the excess buttermilk off the onions before tossing in the flour so they are fully coated.
- Fry the onion until browned and crispy and remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel. Season with salt and set aside until required.
- With the dough balls relaxed at room temperature and Roccbox preheated and fully saturated with heat you can prepare to bake the pizza.
- Open a sourdough dough ball into a pizza skin and top with the tomato sauce, mozzarella and salami.
- Slide the pizza onto a floured placement peel before launching into Roccbox. Bake for around 90 seconds to 2 minutes, rotating regularly and checking the base during baking.
- Transfer the pizza to a serving plate or board and sprinkle over the chopped crispy onions.
For The Crispy Onions;
1 Onion, sliced
½ Cup Buttermilk
Vegetable Oil For Frying
1 Sourdough Dough Ball
1 ½ oz Tomato Sauce
2oz Mozzarella Cheese
Fennel Salami (enough to cover the pizza)