We’ve teamed up with Lee Tiernan, Founder of @Blackaxemangal and the king of rock and roll, to bring you an awesome flatbread dough recipe inspired by his love of Turkish food. We’ll be showing you how to make Lee’s Reuben Flatbreads in the Roccbox with this recipe in Part 2 coming soon...
Flatbread Dough recipe
1. Make the poolish
- The day before you make your dough, mix the water with the yeast in a small container. Add the flours and use one hand to incorporate everything, making sure there are no pockets of dry flour or lumps of yeast. It should be thick and fairly smooth with a bit of effort, ending up with a mixture that resembles a thick milkshake.
- Cover with a lid and leave in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 6 hours until the poolish has doubled in size.
2. Make the dough
- Add the flours, yeast, salt, poolish, milk and water into the large plastic container. Give it all a good mix by hand for 10 minutes then cover with a lid and rest for 30–40 minutes.
- Perform stretch and folds every 30 minutes for 2 hours (4 folds in total), each time covering the container with a lid in between folds. Then place the covered container in the fridge overnight.
- The following morning the dough will be ready to portion. To do this, start by wetting your hands, as this will allow you to handle the sticky dough more easily.
- Divide the dough into 210g portions and place the dough into small plastic containers, cover and place back in the fridge for a minimum of two hours before use. This dough is ideal to use from fridge temperature, you do not need to bring it back to room temperature before opening and baking. They will be good to use for up to 3 days.[end]
FOR THE POOLISH
¼ oz Fresh yeast
3½ oz Wholemeal (wholewheat) flour
3½ oz Plain (all-purpose) flour
FOR THE DOUGH
13 oz Plain (all-purpose) flour
6¾ oz Strong white bread flour
6¾ oz Strong wholemeal (wholewheat) bread flour
1 Teaspoon fresh yeast
¾ oz Salt
12 oz Poolish (see above)
225g Whole (full-fat) milk