The legendary Lee Tiernan, founder of Black Axe Mangal, brings us his BAM classic, the Reuben Flatbread, made with his epic dough recipe we shared previously (check it out here). If you love pastrami, gherkins, cheese and more cheese, this bad boy is the one for you...
Fire up the oven to 572–662°F. While the oven is coming up to temperature, get all your other ingredients and equipment ready.
1. Opening the dough
- Create a small pile of flour on the tray and place a dough ball on top.
- Gently shape the edges up to the top of the dough and pinch to seal to create a uniform bun
- Flour the top of the dough and, using your fingertips, gently start to spread the dough out from the centre to the edges. Open the dough on the back of your hands until you achieve a round of approx 25.5-26.5 cm (10-10 1/2 inches) in diameter. Try to get the dough as flat and even as possible and transfer the dough to a lightly floured pizza peel.
2. Making and baking
- Gently brush a touch of beef dripping/tallow on top of the dough, then add the pastrami and bake for a couple of minutes until the dough turns golden brown with some charred bits.
- Remove from the oven and add a generous scattering of cheese over the top of the pastrami. Lower the flame in the oven and pop back in until the cheese melts.
- Finish with sauerkraut, pickles and American mustard.
- Slice and enjoy!
160g dough ball (see BAM flatbread recipe)
1 tbsp Beef dripping/tallow or vegetable oil
3 ½ oz Pastrami or salt beef
1 oz Shredded Mozzarella
1 oz Sharp cheddar
1 oz Ogleshield cheese (or raclette)