Grab a dough ball of your favourite dough recipe (or just make our simple dough) and prepare to travel to umami town! Chris Roberts aka @flamebaster on instagram walks you through making your very own XO sauce and prawn paste for this epic pizza.
1. For The XO Sauce;
- The first rule of XO sauce is: THERE ARE NO RULES! Go with the flow with whichever ingredients you like, don’t worry about exact measurements, and taste as you go!
- In a pestle and mortar (or blender) bash the dried bird’s eye chillies, anchovies and/or shrimp paste and spring onion whites (keep the greens for garnishing).
- Add soy sauce, palm sugar (or any sugar will do), mild oil (I used rendered pork fat and pork stock), fish sauce and rice wine vinegar. Taste as you go (the anchovies and soy sauce will be salty!!)
- Or, if you don’t want to go to the effort use your fave sauce from your local oriental store.
2. For The Prawn Paste;
- In a blender whizz up (or chop up) some raw king prawns (deveined and cleaned), grated ginger, grated garlic and light soy sauce.
3. For The Pizzas;
- Working with one dough ball at a time, toss the dough ball in flour before opening into a pizza base and spoon over some xo sauce. Spread the prawn paste thinly on top so it can cook quickly, sprinkle over toasted sesame seeds and Chris puts dried fermented prawns around the crust (soaked to remove some saltiness) some of these prawns will burn and pack an umami flavour bomb!
- Pull the pizza onto a placement, drizzle with a little sesame oil and launch into Roccbox. Bake for around 60-90 seconds, rotating as required.
- As the pizza comes out the oven top with crispy laver seaweed and spring onion.
For The Xo Sauce:
Dried Bird’s Eye Chillies
Peeled Garlic Cloves
Chopped Banana Shallots
Chopped Fresh Chillies
Anchovies and/or Shrimp Paste
Light or Dark Soy Sauce
Rice Wine Vinegar
For The Prawn Paste:
Raw King Prawns
Light Soy Sauce
For The Base:
Neapolitan Dough Balls