Despite often being called ‘Welsh Rabbit’ this dish contains no meat and is essentially an epic cheese on toast.
And how do you make epic cheese on toast even more epic?! Forego the toast for pizza of course! ….
1. To make the rarebit;
- Place the ale, mustard and Worcestershire sauce into a saucepan and place over medium heat and reduce until thick.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the flour to make a roux. Use a wooden spoon to continuously stir the roux for a few minutes so as to cook out the flour before gradually adding the hot milk to the pan in two to three batches, stirring constantly as you do so.
- Once all the milk is incorporated into the roux add the cheese to the pan and beat and cook until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the ale reduction to the sauce. Mix together well and check the seasoning.
- Allow the mix to cool slightly before beating in the egg yolks.
2. To make the pizza;
- Open a New York style dough ball and top with a few generous spoonfuls of the rarebit.
- Use the back of the spoon to spread the rarebit all over the base before launching the pizza into a 350oC/660oF Roccbox and baking for around 4 minutes, rotating regularly.
- Once baked, transfer to a chopping board, sprinkle over a little flaky salt and enjoy!
25g Unsalted Butter
25g Plain Flour
170ml Full Fat Milk, heated on a hob or in the microwave
170g Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 Tsp English Mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 Egg Yolks