A truly classic Neapolitan pizza recipe that uses a tiny amount of yeast and a long, room temperature ferment is a thing of beauty - especially when cooked over wood.
24 Hour Neapolitan Pizza
1. To make the dough;
- Pour the water into a bowl and add the yeast. Whisk to break apart. Place the salt and flour in a separate bowl and begin to add the flour mix to the liquid, mixing continuously with your hand as you do.
- Once all the flour is mixed knead the dough for 5-6 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball, cover with a clean bowl and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough again for a final minute or 2 before shaping into a ball, placing into a container, covering and leaving to ferment at room temperature for 16 hours.
- When the time is up pop the dough onto a clean, unfloured surface and divide into three 9 1/2 oz (270g) pieces and shape into dough balls. Place the dough balls on a tray, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 and no more than 10 hours.
2. To make the tomato sauce;
Empty the canned tomatoes into a bowl and add the salt. Either crush by hand or pulse briefly with a blender. It’s important not to over mix them - and refrigerate until required.
3. To bake the pizza;
- Remove the dough balls from the fridge 3-5 hours before you want to bake them to allow the gluten to relax.
- Fire up your Gozney Pizza Oven until you reach 925f (495c).
- Toss the room temperature dough ball into a tub of flour, shake off the excess, and open into a pizza base.
- Top with around 2oz of tomato sauce and a quarter of the cheese and slide onto a placement peel before launching into the oven.
- Bake for 60-90 seconds in your Gozney Pizza Oven rotating regularly until baked to perfection.
For The Dough;
500g 00 Pizza Flour OR Strong White Bread Flour
0.1g Dry Yeast
For The Tomato Sauce;
1x 14oz Peeled Plum Tomatoes, best you can find
¼ Tsp Flaky Sea Salt
For the pizza;
8oz Fior Di Latte Mozzarella