Oozy gooey camembert paired with a banging vegetarian stuffing make this beautiful calzone a winner all year round- but the festive flavours definitely make it a perfect Christmas treat.
Camembert & Stuffing Calzone
1. For the Stuffing;
- Toss the squash and onion into a cast iron pan or tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Add the ground mixed spice and grate over the nutmeg before covering with foil and popping into Roccbox at around 645f/340c with the flame down low for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the chopped nuts, cranberries and herbs in a bowl and toss together with a tbsp of olive oil.
- Check the squash by piercing with knife, it should be soft, but not falling apart and, once cooked, throw over the bowl of seeds and nuts. Return the pan to the oven uncovered for a final minute or two to toast the nuts. Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl to cool slightly.
- Pour the milk into a small bowl, tear in the stale bread and leave to soak as the squash cools.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle (don’t let it get to cold as it wont mash) add the bread and milk mix and crush together with your hands. Season to your liking and allow to cool before building the calzone.
2. For the Calzone;
- To make the calzone open the dough ball into a rough rectangle, dot over generous spoonfuls of the stuffing and the camembert slices going all the way to the edges and fold over the two ends of the rectangle to make two points at either end like a canoe.
- Next, pinch the edges at the long sides ⅓ of the way from the end and stretch them over the toppings to meet in the middle, pinching and sealing them together as you do so. Repeat once more so you end up with three areas of exposed toppings and the rest covered by dough.
- Slide the calzone onto a floured placement peel and launch into the front third of the oven. Bake, rotating as required, for around 3-4 minutes.[end]
For the stuffing;
½ Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into chunks
1 Red Onion, cut into wedges
¼ Tsp Ground Mixed Spice
Grating of Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Walnuts, chopped
1 Tbsp Pistachio, chopped
1 Tbsp Dried Cranberries
1 Tbsp Chopped Herbs (Sage, Oregano, Thyme etc)
1 Slice Stale White Bread, crusts removed
For each calzone;
1 Neapolitan Pizza Dough Ball
½ Camembert, cut into slices